UFO Aftermath graphics troubles, Catalyst is main suspect

News, discussion, get assistance for technical problems with any PC game (not listed above). Or share your insights.

UFO Aftermath graphics troubles, Catalyst is main suspect

Postby rditto48801 » 02 Jan 2010, 17:45

Hello.

I am having odd troubles with a game, UFO Aftermath.
The problems seem to be related to my video card.
A PCI-E HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ with 512 GDDR3.
I have the latest driver (unless they updated it within the last 12 hours), from the HIS site, for my video card

Symptoms.
1: Opening videos play for a split second, one second top, then 'freezes', forcing me to hit escape twice (there are two opening videos, one I think for the developer and publisher, then the opening video for the game itself) until I get to the loading screen and main menu.
1A: Small 'videos' in game are affected in different ways. Some seem to work fine and at normal speed, others (mainly ones that 'loops') seem to play at extreme speeds. I played the demo once, I recall one small video showing a rotating weapon that rotated once every few seconds, now the same video seems to be super fast, showing said weapon rotating 3 times per second.
1B: There is some 'animation' at the opening menu that seems to be laggy as heck, a slide show if I don't use Windows 98 compatibility, which is odd, since the game is also XP compatible. Without Windows 98 compatibility set, it is almost a 'slow paced slide show' kind of laggy. In game animations are varied, one place has it seem a little choppy, while another ones is smoother but still a little jerky, like there is a tiny bit of lag between frames.

2: Textures in tactical/squad battles that... well, on occasion are more horribly mutated than some of the things in the game.
2A: Take a square piece of terrain with a rock. The terrain is black, and it looks like someone took the texture, cut it on three sides, and 'flipped' it over and stretched it out, creating a big uneven 'stretched out' piece of terrain texture with one end attached to the black square where the texture should be.
2B: A forested area.... take a few 'dead' trees (Fir/Pine type) and 'stretch' the graphics/textures so they seem to stretch in many directions, apparently to the other freaking side of the tactical map.
In both cases, moving the camera so the 'base' of the texture is not on screen (the hole in the ground, or the affected trees), and textures show up alright and the 'stretched' textures vanish, but moving back towards the 'base' of the affected textures again shows them.

3: The major red flag.
DirectX Diagnostic Tool
Direct 3D test.
Take the DirectX cube, and spin it so freaking fast it seems that the cube is 'warped' it so it looks like it has bent in sides instead of strait sides, and almost seem like it is just a few frames rapidly cycling/flashing/blinking between each other.
I recall having this problem once with System Shock 2 trouble shooting, all I recall is that one of the Nvidia driver settings was totally screwing up the graphics, although the cube spun really freaking fast, it was still recognizable as a cube, unlike now.
I am thinking that a similar problem is happening now, that some option/setting in the Catalyst drivers seems to be screwing stuff up horribly. I wouldn't be surprised if the video problem and the distorted texture problems have the same basic cause.

4: Almost forgot, there is a configuration utility for configuring the video settings for the game. It crashes when I try to either 'test' one of the video/refresh settings, or when I try to tick off a box for "Use Vertxex Programs" or try to tick on the box for "Complatibility Modes of VAs" (not a typo) which I had tried doing while trouble shooting things.

Another Catalyst related problem.
When making sure my video driver was up to date, and that my Catalyst drivers were properly updated, I lost all audio.
So far, I have had to disable and uninstall an ATI HD Audio Driver... TWICE...
Realtek HD Audio does not like ATI Audio Drivers... because the Realtek HD Audio Manager is the only thing that gets sound when the problem pops up, nothing else (web sites, Windows, video/music files, music CDs, etc) has sound.
Please enlighten me as to why updating my VIDEO driver is now causing an ATI Audio Driver to install (and reinstall) on my computer. I am guessing it has something to do with the zip file for my video driver being 171MB in size...

I hope you can be of some help, BlindNero, because the UFO Aftermath forums are more or less a ghost town, so I am not exactly getting much help in terms of finding out if the problems are with the game itself or not. All I have is to at least work on the problems that seem to relate to my video card and its settings.
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.

Doctor Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
rditto48801

Location: In an ACU, riding an Appleseed style Spider Fortress, on a Mammoth class Dropship.

Re: UFO Aftermath graphics troubles, Catalyst is main suspect

Postby Blín D'ñero » 02 Jan 2010, 19:30

Hi rditto! :wave:
The fast spinning weapons/items menu reminds me of the game Desert Storm on Vista 64.... if i remember correctly that was fixed with XP compatibility mode. Fast spinning menu in Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness happened only on the newest, fast, videocards and was fixed by disabling vSync. Other -older- games with similar behaviour was caused by incompoatibility with dual core / hyperthreading and was fixed by running the exe on 1 core only.

I don't know your game at all, would have to investigate more, but it has 3 patches(1.2; 1.2 to 1.3; 1.4) you may have missed?

The HDMI audio driver that comes with ATI, you should not install that at all. Just uninstall the ATI drivers completely. Then reinstall (deselect Folding@Home), select Custom > only select drivers and catalyst control panel, tick the others OFF. Then go in Control Panel > Device Manager and right-click on the HDMI audio device > Properties > Disable.
Gaming PC: * Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz * Zalman CPNS9900-A LED * Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z * 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 * Sapphire HD7970 crossfire * Dell U3010 @ 2560 x 1600 / 60Hz * Corsair AX 1200W * 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX * Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro * Optiarc AD 5240S * Steelseries 7G * Razer Imperator 2012 * Steelseries SX * Coolermaster STC T01 * Logitech Z-5500 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 7 Ultimate x64 *

Workhorse PC: * Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz * Zalman CNPS9900 LED * Asus Sabertooth x58 * 24 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 * XFX 3GB D5 HD7970 Dual Fan * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 / 60Hz * Corsair HX 850W * 7 x WDC WD1002FAEX * Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro * Optiarc AD 5240S * Steelseries 7G * Logitech G9 * Steelseries SX * Coolermaster STC T01 * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Postby rditto48801 » 02 Jan 2010, 20:00

I am running Windows XP Home Edition (SP3)

The game came out around 2003 iirc.

I downloaded the cumulative 1.4 patch from the official site and installed it right after installing the game.

I am not sure if it is a factor or not, but the Bink logo shows up on the loading screen before the main menu pops up.

The 'spinning weapons' and whatnot I speak of are in small looping videos, and not rendered in 3D.

I don't know to much on getting games to run with 1 core from the start.
The only option I know is to run something, alt-tab out, ctrl-alt-delete to bring up Windows Task Manager, select Processes, select the program, right click, Set Affinity, and uncheck 1 and leave 0 checked.

How do I disable vSync?
Where is the option at in the Catalyst Control Center?

Another question.
Does it matter if some settings are handled by Catalyst or if they are set to be application controlled, or if the Catalyst AI thing is enabled or not?

Will any of those help with the problems of the occasional texture getting extremely stretched out?

I got like a half dozen things for ATI in my program list, I guess I got some work to do with uninstalling them all and try to remember to install on custom with only the video driver selected.
rditto48801

Location: In an ACU, riding an Appleseed style Spider Fortress, on a Mammoth class Dropship.

Postby Blín D'ñero » 03 Jan 2010, 02:07

Ah.. i didn't see 1.4 was also called "total patch". :thumbup:

Disable Vsync in AtTI CCC: open CCC (advanced) > top menu "Graphics" > 3D > button ALL > scroll down to "wait for vsync", set to always off.

Yes in older games (such as what you have there), some graphics options are not available ingame but can be 'forced' via the CCC. Like AA (antialias)
Btw: it is possible that Triple buffering could help. On that same 3D tab scroll to the bottom, and check ON Open GL settings Triple Buffering.
Now i think of it, in the game Vietcong2 i noticed:
BlindNero wrote:To fix flickering main menu (game itself isn't affected): in the game's setup menu untick triple buffering. In CCC you can keep it enabled.
... maybe it helps your game in a way?

I just read back in your building PC thread and realised you have an AMD dual core (Athlon 64 X2). Did you or did you not install the AMD dual core Optimizer? :)
...and:
AMD wrote:If you are still having a problem after running the Optimizer Utility, try installing the latest AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Drivers available for Windows XP. You can download these drivers from the following link: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=173

What are the system requirements?
The minimum requirements are:
Windows 98/2000/XP
Pentium III 500 MHz
128 MB RAM
GeForce 2 MX video card with minimum 32 MB onboard RAM
8x speed CD-ROM
DirectX certified sound card
1.25 GB free HD space

Suggested system for optimum performance is:
Pentium III 1 GHz
256 MB RAM
GeForce 3 with 64 MB onboard RAM
Seeing this, then yes it's quite possible your PC is just too freaking fast for the game without a new patch (that will never come probably), and dual core a problem. To set 1 core automatically, there is a little tool called SetAffinity. But first try if all other options already fix your problems.

rditto48801 wrote:I am not sure if it is a factor or not, but the Bink logo shows up on the loading screen before the main menu pops up.
Yes why not, the game uses Bink files so you see their logo. :)

SIX ATI things in your programs list??? :confused: I have ONE: ATI Catalyst Install Manager. On Win 7 and Vista.
Btw, buddy why don't you move to Windows 7, you would never regret it.
Gaming PC: * Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz * Zalman CPNS9900-A LED * Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z * 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 * Sapphire HD7970 crossfire * Dell U3010 @ 2560 x 1600 / 60Hz * Corsair AX 1200W * 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX * Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro * Optiarc AD 5240S * Steelseries 7G * Razer Imperator 2012 * Steelseries SX * Coolermaster STC T01 * Logitech Z-5500 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 7 Ultimate x64 *

Workhorse PC: * Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz * Zalman CNPS9900 LED * Asus Sabertooth x58 * 24 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 * XFX 3GB D5 HD7970 Dual Fan * 3 x Dell U2410 @ Eyefinity 5760 x 1200 / 60Hz * Corsair HX 850W * 7 x WDC WD1002FAEX * Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro * Optiarc AD 5240S * Steelseries 7G * Logitech G9 * Steelseries SX * Coolermaster STC T01 * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate x64 *
Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Postby rditto48801 » 03 Jan 2010, 08:09

I don't see any 'wait for vsync' option.
The closest option I can find is 'wait for vertical refresh'.
Is that basically the same thing?
I did select the triple buffering thing under OpenGL.

The installed program list had the uninstaller, Catalyst, the actual video driver, two things for ATI AVIVO codecs, and an ATI problem report wizard.
Right now, after uninstall/reinstall, I have the same, minus the ATI AVIVO codecs

I probably do have the AMD dual-core optimizer... somewhere... if I run the installer for the optimizer or dual core drivers, it takes me to the 'remove' option, so they are at least installed already. I just got to figure out where they installed to. properties says the optimizer has been on my computer for about 8-9 months, so it has been over a half year since I apparently installed them.

The game itself runs alright, it is just some of the videos that are playing way to fast (or not running for the intro video) and textures occasionally getting horribly stretched out, plus the Direct3D test thing going bonkers.
I am having to play the game with more or less everything off, including shadows, since even the 'shadows' seem to get stretched out of shape at odd angles in tactical battles.

The stupid ATI HD audio driver is STILL popping up on me, even though the option was not even selected when I reinstalled my drivers.

For now, I am taking a break from troubleshooting, as I have probably stayed up a little to long. I will get around to seeing how the setting changes work out after I get some sleep.
rditto48801

Postby Blín D'ñero » 03 Jan 2010, 16:05

Ok that is typical XP then: having the ATI parts seperately in programs list. AVIVO is something you don't need unless you use your PC as a Home Theater, and you don't.
So it's gone. :)
Or not?
The stupid ATI HD audio driver is STILL popping up on me, even though the option was not even selected when I reinstalled my drivers.
:confused:

The stretching could be a resolution / refreshrate problem, have you tried the (lower, lowest) settings to see if that makes at least the dimensions relative to eachother seem allright?
Have you tried Win 98/ME compatibility (as you know, right-click > Properties > Win 98/ME compatibility mode) on the game's (launch-) shortcut or on the game's exe in its directory?

I'll have time later today to try their demo... maybe

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Postby Blín D'ñero » 03 Jan 2010, 16:57

ufo-aftermath wrote:5.2 What are the supported resolutions?
The supported resolution in UFO: Aftermath is 1024x768

only one supported resolution....
means if you use another, you get deformations i guess.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Postby rditto48801 » 03 Jan 2010, 17:35

I did not install the Avivio when I reinstalled.

The config utility for the game crashes when I try to change such settings.
It is broken down into two parts, the actual config menu, and a small window showing a 'demo' of the graphics, a 3D UFO logo that spins over 'choppy' water. Choppy as in many small waves, not lag/skipping.

On the up side it seems to be the demo view that does the actual crashing, not the select menu part, so I can at least check/uncheck some options if I have to. start config program, choose option, get error, reselect config utility and hit 'okay' so it saves the settings.

You are right, there is no option to select resolution, only the refresh rate, plus check boxes for 16bit or 32 bit color modes, Shadows, Complatibility for VAs, Use Vertex Programs, a Gamma slider, a Test button (which crashes the utility).
1024x768 happens to be the default I have my monitor set for right now. The icons/text on the desktop are to small for me if I have it set any higher.
There are tabs for video and audio in the config utility, and there is nothing wrong with the options in the audio tab.

I did get the opening video to play at one point, but it kept 'pausing', alternating between playing with sound and being frozen no sound, alternating every second or to.
I am a little baffled, as I cannot recreate the effect at the moment.

A quick test play with the 'demo view' for graphics not working right shows the game itself seems to still be working okay, even if the graphics in the demo view for the config does not seem to work.

While poking around on the forums for the developer, I came across an interesting topic on a forum for the sequel.
Someone made a program called UFOInfo designed to test a computer for compatibility with all three games in the trilogy.
http://forum.altargames.com//index.php?showtopic=6236
According to it, my computer has all the required 'extensions' needed for the game to run properly.

For now, I am going to have to play the game a little bit to see if any more of the texture problems show up, as the present mission I was saved in doesn't show anything out of place, except in the present mission it looks like they 'cheated' and painted building shadows on the terrain, with buildings and trees having no real shadows... either that, or shadows of buildings don't affect the lighting of of the soldiers.

There is one other minor concern so far.
Without spoiling anything, there is 'stuff' that is supposed to 'appear' on the geoscape map a little ways into the game.
So far, I have seen nothing.
Either I have yet to have it 'pop up' even though I have seen some of the 'causes' of it, or else the game is not rendering the 'stuff' yet.
Either that, or I got a game breaking bug one of the patches was supposed to fix, in which the 'stuff' does not appear, and therefore breaks the story progression and parts of the research and development trees.

On a side note, still no replies at the official game forum support page.
rditto48801

Postby Blín D'ñero » 04 Jan 2010, 19:40

Hey.. i catched the game from a salesbin (In a small town i had to go to today and had some spare time sniffing around... € 1.99 minus 50%) :D 2 CD's, no booklet.
Installed (and v1.4), no problem. Except i don't know what to do, strategy is not my type of game.
But so far, on my XP machine, (Win XP SP2 / C2D E6750 / Asus Maximus Formula (x38) / ATI HD3870 / Cat 9.11 / X-Fi Titanium, Rad (Bink files-) Video Tools installed)
this is what happens ( i suppose similar to your case):
First run:: configure screen pops up. The little video only moves when i click the mouse, with each click a new frame. Any change in config menu results in app crash error.
Run the game:
black screen and a few burps can be heard, then nothing, all black. I hit Esc twice. That brings me on main menu. I can save, select Options etc and PLAY. I select that, and see Earth and all sorts of game panels, nice space music playing. Fiddling around i configured a Squad (moved some heads). But nothing happens at all. I click the time and hear it ticking for a short while, but that's it.
I don't know what to do here and frankly i would never buy such game as i am not into strategy genre at all.

Ah i see you posted there already. Hopefully their help works out.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Postby Blín D'ñero » 04 Jan 2010, 21:59

Maybe it is a dual core issue. SetAffinity might help.

Update: tried it, and nope, no difference.

Blín D'ñero
Site Admin

Next

Return to Games General